Dufton

Dufton is a very attractive village three miles north of Appleby, in an area designated as of oustanding natural beauty (AONB).

Many old houses, some from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, border the rectangular village green, with its avenue of lime trees marching down the center.

It lies on both the Pennine Way and Cumbria Cycle Way. You can approach Cross Fell (the highest point on the Pennines) or High Cup Nick from here. At the head of this perfectly formed U-shaped Valley is one of the highlights of the Pennine Way, described by Wainwright as an ‘unforgettable sight’, a ‘natural wonder’. It’s perfectly situated for exploring the moorland of the North Pennines, or the green valleys of the River Eden.

‘Rising as a foothill immediately north of Dufton village and backed by the lofty Pennines is the shapely pyramid of Dufton Pike (see gallery), isolated from the greater heights beyond by steep slopes and ravines once exploited for lead mining. Plans to develop the Pike and neighbouring areas into a pleasure complex with all the fun of the fair have mercifully come to nothing, which is as it should be.’ From ‘An Eden Sketchbook’ by A Wainwright.

Lead mining was an important industry in the 1800’s, and the London Lead Company (owned by Quakers) was instrumental in building village cottages for their workers and families. They provided Dufton with a school, and a library, and piped water in 1858. There are four taps still in evidence, along with the sandstone trough.

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...